6.01.2008

Thoughts on being human

So, Sometimes I look back on my actions or thoughts and wonder- what was I thinking? A few days ago was one of those days. I am living in Nebraska right now working on a clinical internship and I currently have two roommates (one is a nursing student and one is a med student). We were sitting and talking and for some reason I found these things coming out of my mouth about what I have done and talking about things I have accomplished. As I walked out the door to go on a run I stopped to ask myself- why? Why did I feel the need to impress two people that I will only know for a few weeks and then will never see again? Why did I feel the need to paint myself in this impressive light? Why do I turn to other people for validation?
I find myself so often looking to Al or to my friends who love me for proof that I am worth something or proof that I am a cool person. When I don't have people constantly adorning me with praise and love- I often feel worthless or useless.
I have value in something greater than opinions or companionship. I have value because I am saved by grace and created for something bigger than myself. I forget this often. I forget my worth is not from me. I have worth because of who possesses me, not what I possess.

No comments: