10.13.2010

10.13.10- Day 284

The Discipline of Celebration...

This morning I was looking at facebook and realized that I was fostering feelings of jealousy toward a few different friends that are out living in other countries or traveling to exotic places. I thought, "Wow, I'm not going to be able to do that for a long time... in fact, I'm not even going to be able to sleep in for the next 20 years..." Then, I had to stop myself and ask, "What is the truth about my situation?" The truth is that I have been blessed with an incredibly cute, lovely, precious son to care for. I have a loving, attentive husband who is a great provider and father (last night he took care of Caleb to let me sleep because he was on call... then he went in to work at 2:30 a.m.- dad duty and work duty all in one night and not a complaint!) The truth is that God has called me to being a mother right now, and that if traveling to exotic places or foreign countries is part of his plan for me and my family, he will make a way. The truth is that I'm surrounded by loving friends and family to support Alan and I in raising Caleb in a way that honors God.

I've been reading a book about spiritual disciplines called, "The Life You've Always Wanted." It talks about ways that we can open ourselves to be "metamorphed" by God into the beings that he has called us to be. One of those disciplines is celebration. I love that! When I think of spiritual disciplines, normally I think of deprivation or striving. Not that celebration is always easy, but practicing JOY can be a spiritual discipline.

"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice!"

"This day is holy to the Lord your God; do not mourn or weep... Go your way, eat the fat and drink sweet wine and send portions of the to those for whom nothing is prepared, for this day is holy to our Lord; and do not be grieved, for the joy of the Lord is your strength."

"This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it."

So today I am thankful and joyful in the fact that I have been blessed with a son when so many long for one, that I had great friends in town this past weekend, that I watched Biggest Loser last night with my husband and ate Heath ice cream with a brownie, and that today is a gorgeous fall day with perfect weather!

1 comment:

Rose Starr said...

Good stuff Susan! What an encouragement :)
~Rose
p.s. Our kids are at the age where we get to sleep in now, so you don't have to wait 20 years. lol :)