5.15.2011

Day 135- Diaper review

I thought I would do a diaper review on the 3 types of diapers we've used: Pampers, Huggies, and Earth's Best...

Pampers:
We have used both Pampers Swaddlers and Pampers Baby Dry (the nighttime kind). I really like Pampers Swaddlers and have had pretty good luck with them. I know that every baby is shaped differently, but for Caleb, Pampers have proven to work well overall as long as we had the right sized diaper. Side note on Baby Dry: We didn't really like Baby Dry very much. It did hold a lot of urine for overnight, but it seemed to also keep Caleb's skin fairly wet. He never got diaper rash or anything, but I just didn't like the way it smelled/felt in the morning. I like Pampers because the absorbent material gets pretty firm when he uses the bathroom, so it's easy to tell when he needs to be changed. Also, for those that really need help, there is a yellow stripe that turns blue when baby needs to be changed as well. The material does seem fairly chemical-ish though, and it makes you wonder what it is if it keeps baby so dry. Also, Pampers didn't use the Dry Max in Europe and I wonder if it doesn't have the technology or if it had been banned? We never had any side leaks with Pampers, but we did have quite a few blowouts up the back, which really stinks (literally). In Pampers, we've used sizes NB, 1, 1-2, and 2.

Huggies:

We're not big Huggies fans around our household. We've tried multiple sizes and given several good attempts at using them, but Caleb must not be a Huggies baby. We also get way more coupons for Huggies than Pampers. Our main problem was that he kept leaking with them. We got frequent leaks from the sides and front. I just got tired of changing his clothes! Huggies seems to be a little less chemical-ish than Pampers, and they are soft. We just couldn't deal with the leaks. We tried sizes NB, 1, and 3.

Earth's Best:
Recently, I ordered Earth's Best diapers, which are chlorine, latex, dye, and perfume free. They are also supposed to be more biodegradable than the average diaper. They only cost $0.01 more per diaper than Pampers on Amazon. I have loved them! They fit Caleb great (waist and legs), are soft, but don't seem chemical-ish. He has yet to leak or have a blow-out, which is great! They are a little harder to tell whether he needs to be changed or not, but I'm pretty good at figuring that out anyway these days. I'll need to use them a little longer to know for sure (we've only been using them for a week), but I think we may permanently switch! It's my best attempt at being more green and baby-bottom friendly, since I'm not up for switching to cloth just yet.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

I too, am not a fan of Pampers Baby Dry--the regular Pampers (can't remember the specific type at the moment), I am a fan. Huggies are very meh, except one of the twins needed nighttime diapers, and Huggies was great for that. Yay for Earth's Best! I haven't had any experience with those, but I see them at Whole Foods all the time.