12.06.2011

Day 340- The results...

Okay... Here's the good and the bad from my trip to Target this afternoon.  Please do not make fun of how much I spent.  I'm trying to be real here :).  So, here are the highlights... I'll break everything down at the bottom. 
The Good: I saved around $42 strictly from coupons and $55 if you count the discounts that were already in place at the store.  I had NO problems at the register.  All my coupons went through just fine.  It was fun to watch the register slowly cut down my costs. 
The Bad: I went to the Target Greatlands by my house, and it has a crappy grocery section, since it's not a real grocery store.  I was unable to use 3-4 of my coupons due to not having the items available.  Next time I'll make the trip to the Super Target south of my house.  I spent $4 for newspapers (and have 2 other weeks) to get coupons.  I spent $6 on a binder to hold my coupons :).  Tax is KILLER here.


So here's the breakdown:
Up and up diapers- $1/1 target printable coupon- 19.99 -> $18.99= $.14/diaper to $.13/diaper
Up and up disinfecting wipes- $0.50/1= $2.19-> $1.69
Merona pants for Al- on sale from $24.99->$20- 20% off coupon-> 16.00
Pepperidge farm bread- $3.69 (thought it was $3.05)- $0.50/1-> $3.19
2 Triamenic infant fever reducer- (2) $3/1- > $9.98-> $3.98 total OR $4.99-> $1.99  each
Lunch meat + shredded cheese- $1 off when you buy 1 of each- $2.84 + $2.59 -1.00= 4.43 OR ~ 2.21 each
2 ReVitalens 2 pack travel size- (2) 3.00/1-> 3.49 each -> 0.49 each
ProNutrients vitamins- 2.00/1 Target, 5.00/1 Man-> 11.99-> 4.99
Ziploc- $1/2 -> 2.89+2.89= 5.78-1.00= 4.78 OR 2.39 each
Starbucks- store deal $5 gift card when you buy 3, $1/1, $3/2- > 7.99 each-> 3.65 each after you add in the mail in rebate you can get on the Starbucks website for buying 3 bags of coffee

So, obviously I bought other stuff at Target, which was probably my biggest mistake.  Salad dressing, salmon, buttery spread, socks... all probably more expensive at Target than my friendly neighborhood Aldi or Walmart.  Also, I noticed that 8 o'clock coffee (which I like perfectly fine) was only $4.05 a few rows above the Starbucks.  Kinda takes the life out of the $5 gift card/mail-in-rebate hassel for a mere $0.40 savings.  I think my best deals were the contact solution and the infant tylenol.  I couldn't find the Curel lotion coupon that was going to make me $.42 per transaction.  Oh well. 

I'm going to keep trying this for a few more months and see if anything pans out.  I know part of couponing is developing a stock pile.  So far in my stockpile I have: some juice from a while back, contact solution, tylenol, coffee, and disinfecting wipes.  I guess it's nice not to have to buy any of those items for a while.  Anyone with pointers or tips... I'm all ears!

1 comment:

Krista said...

Are you getting your coupons for Target online? They have a bunch of printable coupons and they had a coupon for getting a $10 gift card if you spend $50. I used that one there just a few days ago. I don't know if you follow moneysavingmom.com, but that is a great place to get coupon and savings ideas.