4.14.2013

Day 105- (Healthy) Make ahead breakfasts

I've been trying to create some healthy options for quick breakfasts in the Hunt house. Two options I've recently tried are: Baked Oatmeal muffins and Omlet muffins. Neither are really muffins, but they are made in muffin tins, so it's a good way to describe them.
The first is Baked Oatmeal. I baked them in Cars cupcake liners to make them more appealing to my 2 year old son. The recipe is adapted from Sugar Free Mom at http://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/personal-sized-baked-oatmeal-with-individual-toppings-gluten-free-diabetic-friendly/












Ingredients
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups applesauce, unsweetened
1 banana, mashed
1/2 cup honey
5 cups, Oats
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
3 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 3/4 cups milk
Optional: 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 1/2 cup craisins (you could use nuts, raisins, apple, etc)
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix eggs, vanilla, applesauce, banana and Stevia together in a bowl. Add in oats, flax, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and mix well with wet ingredients. Pour in milk and combine. Finally add optional fillers and stir (or add them on top after putting them in the muffin tins). Spray muffin tins with cooking spray or use cupcake liners (makes 18 regular-sized muffins). Pour mixture evenly into muffin tin cups. If using toppings add them onto the tops of muffins now. Bake 30 minutes until a toothpick in center comes out clean. Cool and enjoy or freeze them in gallon freezer bags.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The second muffin recipe is for muffin omelets. This is a great recipe because I always have good intentions to make myself egg in the morning, since it's such a good protein, but I never seem to have time... I like to thaw these and then put them on a whole wheat English muffin or mini-bagel for breakfast. I would recommend cooking them in cupcake liners or greasing your tin really well, because even though I sprayed my non-stick muffin tin well, it took 4 rounds of scrubbing and soaking to clean my muffin tin out!
The original recipe also calls for lining the tin with prosciutto, which would be yummy and decrease the sticking!
This recipe is adapted from Nomnompaleo at http://nomnompaleo.com/post/7486819479/prosciutto-wrapped-mini-frittata-muffins




Ingredients
4 tablespoons oil (I used EVOO)
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 red pepper diced (you could use any veggies you have available- broccoli, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc)
1 cup diced ham
8 large eggs
¼ cup coconut milk (the fatty stuff at the top of the can works best)
2 tablespoons of flour
Kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper
Directions
I preheated the oven to 375°F and prepped my veggies. For the batter, I beat the eggs in a large bowl with coconut milk, flour, salt, and pepper until well-mixed. Then, I added the sautéed the veggies and ham and stirred to combine. I poured the batter in the muffin tin (makes 12 muffins). Then, I popped the muffins in the oven for about 20 minutes until well-set. I pulled them out and let them cool for a few minutes before removing.

No comments: