2.28.2009

Going to Ethiopia

As my trip draws nearer and nearer, I thought I would post the support letter that I wrote 4 weeks ago and have neglected to send out due to busy-ness and perhaps a little bit of motivation-less-ness. However, I am very excited to embark on this journey and see what all is in store. I can't believe that I leave in 2 weeks (on March 14th)! Time flies! Please keep me and my team, as well as Alan in your thoughts and prayers from March 14th- April 10th. Thanks for all your support!




Hi Friends and Family,

I wanted to tell you all about an opportunity that I have to travel to Ethiopia in March/April. I want you all to know so that you can lift me up in prayer, as well as learn a little more about the country of Ethiopia.
I will be traveling with 7 other students and 2 professors from my graduate school, Regis University. We will work in a hospital in Addis Ababa, the capital city, a children’s home for orphans with polio, and at Project Mercy, in a city near the mountains. We hope to bring our Physical Therapy skills and offer ideas, education, and an open mind. We understand that short-term trips are not a solution to health care problems in Ethiopia. We hope that by learning and educating, we can offer some solutions during our time there. Even more, we hope that we will be motivated to advocate for the people in this country as we return home. We hope that our hearts and lives will be more compassionate and that we will be moved to action that is impacting and sustainable.
Ethiopia is ranked 171 out of 177 countries for quality of life. The culture is very rich, as well as the history, however due to corrupt government and famine, the country as a whole is very poor. Many preventable diseases, such as pneumonia, tetanus, and diarrhea can create life or death situations. Most people in this country are sustenance farmers, which means that they spend their whole lives trying to grow enough food to eat for today. However, Ethiopians are very proud of the ancient roots of Christianity there, as Ethiopia houses some of the oldest churches in the world. They are also proud of never having been colonized by any other country in their history. Ethiopia is a mix of vibrant culture and history, as well as tragic malnutrition, high infant mortality rates, and poverty.
In addition to this trip being an amazing opportunity for myself, it is also an opportunity for both Alan and I as we look into the possibility of getting involved in sustainable medical work in developing countries. I hope to gain knowledge of what this type of work looks like and how our resources can be best used. Please pray for:
• My safety while I am there
• Alan as he is spending the month back in the states
• That our services will make a difference in the lives of many people
• That although this is not a Christian trip that I will be able to share God’s love with many people, including my teammates (many of them are not Christians)
• That I would develop more of Christ’s heart for the poor and will hear his voice in how to respond to injustice in the future

Thank you so much! You all are special to me and your support means so much!
~Susan

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

:) i'm so excited for your opportunity! send those letters out! aaaand. report back to me. will you promise to ask about what is being done or could be done from a malnourishment standpoint? i mean... considering i'm going to be traveling with the two of yall later in life.

KJG said...

go Susan go! Yay for this. I'm so excited for you! The Lord is with you, He is for you.
May grace, truth, joy, freedom and love, love, love lead you and Al.
love!
Kristen