9.17.2011

Day 260- Recently read...

I've been reading a lot lately, which has been so refreshing! It has been a long time since I've read fiction on a consistent basis. I feel like it takes me to another place, a different world/time (even if I'm just at home while Caleb naps). These are my most recent reads...
Bossypants:
I really wanted to read this one based on nothing except for the fact it was Tina Fey and the picture on the front was so odd/disturbing/hilarious. In the book, Tina Fey describes her life and rise to her current position as the producer of 30 Rock. I learned some things I didn't know about the comedy business and had a few laughs, but overall I didn't enjoy the book that much. Mostly I felt like I was stuck in a book full of punch lines with no substance. It's a quick read, so if you want to give it a go, you could finish it quickly or just read a chapter at a time because no chapter is super-related to another. Not sure I'd read this one again. (must give a shout out to the "mother's prayer section"- it was pretty hilarious).


The Hunger Games Series:
I LOVED these books. They are young adult fiction, which made them super-easy/ quick reads. They are written in stream of consciousness, which also contributes to the readability. The story is set in a futuristic North America that has been decimated by natural disasters and civil war. There are 12 districts under control of The Capitol, the ruling power over all of Panem. In order to remind the districts of its power, every year The Capitol hosts the Hunger Games, a televised event where one boy and one girl from each district fight to the death in an arena. Warning: don't start these books unless you have time to read the whole series! You won't want to put them down until you find out the end result. The only negative was that I thought the ending was a bit weak, but overall they were very excellent, enthralling books.


Snow Flower and the Secret Fan:
This book is set in 19th century China. If you enjoy reading about different cultures or time periods, you will enjoy this book. The story beautifully, and often painfully, shares the lifelong friendship of two women and the different paths they take through childhood, marriage, motherhood, and death. It highlights a written language used by Chinese women called "nu shu" that was unrecognized by men until the mid 1950's. This book is a little slow at the beginning, but it pulls you in as you begin to see life through the main character's eyes.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: