9.19.2011

Day 262- any thoughts on adoption?

So, the idea of adoption or fostering just keeps coming up. Some days I think it would be a great idea and that it's exactly what God wants us to do. Then I start thinking about any practical matter and basically dismiss it. Anybody have thoughts? Anyone have good resources? Al and I are way far away from even being in a place we could consider it, so it's just an abstract idea currently. I just have a hard time looking at the hundreds of kids that need to be adopted just in the state of Kansas without being convicted that if God loves these children, shouldn't I as well?

thankfuls...
256. A beautiful fall day
257. Accepting women at MOPS
258. Eating dinner last night at a "real" Ethiopian restaurant
259. Hanging with the Sheltons
260. Caleb walking more and more
261. Ripe kiwi
262. A loving husband that sacrifices his time and sleep to make sure I have time to do things like run or take a shower
263. A fresh, clean comforter
264. Kasha frozen pizza
265. Al already has job opportunities

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

if you're willing to wait about 4 more years, i think charlie and i will be more into realistically (as opposed to theoretically) having this talk. BUT.. 1) i think it's important but 2) also that you need to be pretty sure it's what you're supposed to do.

Lindsey said...

I learned a lot about the foster care system and adoption process within KS/MO after working with them for the past year. And I am currently applying for other jobs within the agency. I definitely can't answer all your questions, but I can point you in the direction of some good resources! It takes a long time to get the process moving, so taking time to consider the ramifications is important. One thing that often comes up is the fact that most people want to adopt babies, but it is the children who are a bit older that are harder to place. And the older they get, the longer they're likely to be in the system. Not that babies don't need to be adopted, but there is a real and growing need for people to be willing to take in a child who might have serious emotional disturbance or attachment disorder.

Karen Sue said...

My sister Laura and her husband know a lot about it. This is a video of some of their friends. It's a fundraising video for Jacob's movie, but I know Rob and Jenny who are being interviewed here, and they know a lot about fostering/adopting!

http://youtu.be/YMPukVzIuEQ

And happy birthday to Caleb! Here's to missing Denver.