6.03.2010

06.03.10- Day 152

On Being 1/2 Single....

There are days when I enjoy that my husband works nights, but more often there are days when I dislike it very much. It's an interesting schedule, especially because his rotates on a 6 week schedule. I will say that you get used to whatever life brings and it can be hard to adjust back. For instance, it took me about a week to start sleeping well again when Alan was off work for his hip surgery. I also kept forgetting to tell him when I was going somewhere or going to hang out with friends. However, quickly I was very much enjoying having Alan around all the time and was sad when he went back to work.

Advantages: I can plan to do whatever I please on the nights that he is working. I don't have to worry about confirming if things are okay with him or not. It's great for having girls' nights. I can hog the bed to myself (especially useful now that I sleep with a pillow on either side of me). I normally get to bed earlier because I don't feel like I should stay up to visit with him. I have more time to read before I go to bed. I appreciate my time with him more.

Disadvantages: I go people-deficit crazy if I don't make plans to hang out with other people when he's gone. Whenever he's home, he's normally sleeping, so we don't get to see each other much. I have to sleep alone (whether or not he's home because he stays up all night normally when he is home). Sometimes I get scared at home by myself (thank you security system for making this much better). I watch too much TV when I'm by myself. I have to wait til he wakes up the next day to talk to him about anything important.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

haha, Micah works nights too (well, 24 hr. shifts) and as I read your post I kept saying, "yup... yup... yup..!" Definitely has it's perks and drawbacks. However, I have to say, when Everett was born and he was having HORRIBLE nights, I really dreaded Micah being gone. But I got through it and so will you. Unless Alan won't be working nights when your little boy arrives?