8.15.2009

8.14.09- Day 88


1. Busy day filled with catching up on paperwork, meeting with the retired PT I am replacing (or attempting to replace), and training paraprofessionals in transfers and lifting.
2. Taco dinner at the new "girls" house.
3. Hang out and visit/watch the Bronco's first preseason game.
4. Clean house.
5. Argue/make-up.
6. Sleep.

On another note... more thoughts on Dave Ramsey and Financial Peace University. We had several discussions last night about financial peace university and I ended up taking the side of Dave Ramsey, which I'm not sure I'm completely for. I think in groups that love him I would take the other side. I think wise use of money is very biblical. It's basically what the book of Proverbs talks most about. Jesus also talks about money a lot. I think sometimes as Christians we start to think that money is evil and that it is a taboo subject to talk about. I think that talking about money is extremely important, especially in our society where so many people are drowning in debt and are just not wise stewards of their money. I think the topic of money is kind of like the topic of sex. In Christian circles no one wants to meddle or talk about either of these topics. They are too "personal." But, we live in a world where money is essential for buying food or traveling or having shelter, etc. If we want to serve God with our money, it can't be owed to someone else and we can't be living one emergency to another where all the money is tied up in only daily needs. I think God gives us brains and economic principles for a reason.

On the other hand, I believe that a preoccupation with money can turn into the worship of it. We know that as Christians we can really only have one God. We have to be willing to use all of our resources, whatever they are, for his kingdom. I think this is where Dave Ramsey misses the boat a little. He tends to be very "me" focused. The reason that you are financially responsible in his course is so that you can have the security and the things you want in the future. You can retire well and drive a nice car and not have to worry about money anymore. I don't think this is what God calls us to. I think that we have to think about money in order to have it to be stewards of it, but that if we think about it too much so that we are preoccupied with gaining it, we have missed the point. Our hearts and our actions have to match. There is bondage in debt and poverty the same as there is bondage in wealth and greed. I agree with my friend Sarah when she said last night that if churches are going to rave about and support Dave Ramsey, they also need to be ready to teach other biblical principles about social justice and biblical stewardship.

No comments: