9.20.2009

9.19.09- Day 123

Today started bright and early with a wedding of a friend from PT school. The people who were setting up got sick, so I helped Ben and Becca set up the reception hall and the ceremony site. It was a really pretty wedding and a beautiful day. One thing struck me during the ceremony. It seemed so empty without faith. The "minister" talked about how they should love each other and share their lives and that there is no more sadness or loneliness now that they are married and that marriage is a great thing because it shows that two people respect each other enough to share their lives. I didn't feel my heart beating faster in my chest at the words that promise to be all that your spouse needs. I don't think I could be married without God and his strength. I know better than the idea that there is no more loneliness or sadness after marriage just because you have another person in your life. It makes to stronger and helps you deal with these things, but it doesn't prevent every bad thing from happening. Sometimes, it makes life harder. Sometimes, it takes more strength than I can conger up on my own to be a loving wife. Sometimes it brings more joy and love than humanly possible.

I also ran with Nicole in the afternoon. It was a nice run. We actually kept a decent pace. (maybe I need a mimosa before running everyday!)

After making enchiladas and sending Alan off to work, I took Nigel for a walk. Then, I proceeded to vacuum, mop, and put the laundry away! I'm so proud! My house thanks me too. I could hear its little whisper, "clean me, clean me."

I rewarded myself with watching this documentary on Netflix. I actually visited the hospital in Ethiopia that it is about. The hospital treats women with child birthing injuries that cause them to be incontinent (urine, fecal, or both). It is an amazing place, made specifically for the physical and psychological healing these women need. It is heartbreaking that thousands of women in Ethiopia (and really many developing countries) are shunned and disowned because of their incontinence. This results after trying to give birth to a child when they are too young, small, and malnourished that their body cannot physically birth the child. On average, these women labor for 5 days before giving birth to a dead child. All it takes to fix them is a simple surgery. However, many of them believe they are the only person in the world that has their problem. They must also raise enough money to travel to Addis Ababa to go to the hospital. After these women are healed, they are given a new dress and the money to return to their village whole. It's a beautiful story and truly a beautiful place.

No comments: