1.06.2010

01.06.10- Day 6


Alan and I watched the Soloist this evening. If you haven't seen it, I definitely recommend it. It is a beautiful movie that deals with homelessness, mental illness, music, and good intentions. It speaks to the difficult question of: "What does it mean to help someone?" I think the movie answers, "Be their friend." I think that it really hit home with me because so often I seek to bandage up problems or fix things that I assume are broken. I think my perception is so skewed by my upbringing, my education, my race, my socioeconomic status. I assume that what I want for others must be what they want as well. I forget that the power of true friendship is often more powerful tool than money or access or systems or counselling (not that those things are not helpful, but how can you truly help someone while holding yourself at a distance like they are dangerous or foul or below you or not worth the risk). Friendship is also the most costly gift, but gives the highest returns. People are beautiful.
PS- crazy day, lots going on, love zumba, want a snow day, cookie jar blizzard, glad to have alan home...

No comments: