1.04.2011

Day 4- The first day back

So, today was my first day back to work. It was good and hard.
I thought I would be fine dropping Caleb off with Kayleen. After all, he would be taken good care of and he knows his grandma. However, when the road blurred with tears as I drove back towards Aurora and away from Caleb, I realized this is going to be a little harder than I thought it would. Before having Caleb, I never really understood the connection that moms have to their children. "Sure, they love their kids," I thought. You can never really understand how much you love them and how much they are part of you until you are a mother.
I also enjoyed going back to work. I LOVE the organizational aspect of working in the school system (I know, I'm weird because most people despise that part). Today was mostly paperwork, so I did lots of organizing. Also, I went to my lifeskills classroom and saw my kiddos and a new one. I missed being in that place. I've spent a day there every week for the past 2 years. It's kind of like family. I am so sad though that one of my kiddos is in a coma and not expected to recover. She was such a character and a joy to work with. I'm so sad that I may never see her again. I've never had a patient die before. It really reminds me of why my job is so important. I get to provide physical access to the world of education for them- a huge part of their lives. No matter what their home lives are, no matter what limitations they may have in the community, I can help them achieve their maximal participation at school.

No comments: