6.20.2009

6.20.09- Day 34



I have been using these two books (Bible and A Guide to Prayer) for over 4 years now for my devotional time. I love the way A Guide to Prayer puts you on the liturgical calendar with themes to fit the season of faith (for example specific to Easter or Lent or Advent, etc).

This week is one of my favorite weeks. It is titled, "Our weakness, God's strength." I need reminders about this daily. Below is one of the quotes in the readings for reflection section reflects well how I feel today and many days. It is so easy to say, "God, I trust you for the future" or " God, change me (tomorrow)" and still to hang on to the present worries and habits. It is much harder to let go. To say, "will you take care of me now?" To open yourself to transformation NOW. Yet, I believe he comes and meets us in our vulnerability and honesty. That he will answer us when we call (and not days or weeks later). That he is already with us when we cry out for Him to be near. That he is already transforming us when we cry out for him to change us. That "All the time we are pursuing Him, we are already in His hands." (A.W. Tozer)

"And Lord, I am going to trust thee to keep me. I have tried keeping myself, and have failed, and failed, most grievously. I am absolutely helpless. So now I will trust thee. I give myself to thee. I keep back no reserves. Body, soul and spirit, I present myself to thee as a piece of clay to be fashioned into anything thy love and thy wisdom shall chose. And now I am thine. I believe thou dost accept that which I present to thee; I believe that this poor, weak, foolish heart has been taken possession of by thee, and that thou hast even at this very moment begun to work in me to will and to do of thy good pleasure. I trust thee utterly, and I trust thee now."
- From The Christian's Secret to a Happy Life by Hannah Whitall Smith

1 comment:

Leslye Smith said...

hey susan!
(yes...i've been stalking your blog for a while now) :)

and- where did you get your guide to prayer? (i remember steph had one that she read junior year...and i've been wanting to get one, but i don't really know where to look?)