6.28.2009

6.28.09- Day 42



Today: helped a new powerpointee at church, popped my neck and as a result got a crick in it- I can't sidebend my neck to the left at all!, ate cereal for lunch, Becca came over an worked on my neck to no avail, went over my last practice test, fell asleep for a short nap, started dinner (breakfast- cinnamon rolls, eggs, ham), woke Alan up, ate with Alan really quick, left for Financial Peace, drove home, threw the ball to Nig for a while, created a list of free and cheap things to do in Denver for my FPU class, now for a little relaxing and sleep.

Financial Peace University...
Although both Alan and I were raised by parents who instilled good financial truths and gave us good head starts in life, we decided to take the FPU class to reassess where we are at financially. We do have some school loans and a mortgage that we need to pay off. We are also really good at spending all of the money that we make. It is so easy to do when you don't have a budget and tell your money where it should go (rather than the alternative of watching it disappear). I'm really thankful to have a husband who is also interested in making wise financial decisions. We also have a lot of financial goals (like sending Alan back to school without going into debt or me working full time for living expenses). And travel- we really like doing that. I really believe that the FPU course principles work (even though we are only 1/2 way through the class). I would encourage anyone in debt or that needs a new framework to view their financial situation to take the class.

That being said, I also have some questions about the class. An uneasy feeling that wells up in me whenever Dave Ramsey says, "Live like no one else, so that someday you can live like no one else." Or "I'm not saying that you don't deserve to drive a nice car, I'm just saying that maybe you should drive like no one else so that later you can drive like no one else." Or, "Save money now so that you can take that much deserved vacation without bringing the vacation home with you" (implying not to pay for it with credit). Or "Your heavenly father owns everything in the earth. He's rich. If had a really rich father, I would talk to him if I were broke." I really don't believe that Dave Ramsey believes in the prosperity gospel, but I can't help but think that maybe he is preaching a little too material. I appreciate when he says that if we get out of debt, we will be able to "save, invest, blow, and give." I truly think that he believes giving is a large part of our responsibility with our money. I also believe that we can do much more with our money for God when we are not giving it all to credit card companies or spending it on clothing. I just wonder. I wonder about the millions of poor Christians spread through out the world. I wonder about those dying of hunger. I know that it is human greed largely that causes the problem. Where is the balance between financial wisdom (and most of what Dave Ramsey teaches is straight out of Proverbs) and justice/mercy/compassion/responsibility? I realize there are issues with trying to reach out to a Christian and secular audience, but I wish there was a little less focus on "me" and a little more "outward" focus.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

great post, susan.

james and i listened to the ramsey cds and enjoyed them. i agree there are flaws with some of his ideology, but so many, many christians (and other people) need to learn to save more and spend less.

i had a roomate at jbu who was a very kind and compassionate person. she said she thought it was our duty to always give to people who asked for money (i.e. the homeless), yet most months she did not have money to pay rent and bounced at least 3 checks she wrote me :(. i agree that it would be nice if ramsey preached more about compassion, but at the same time i like his approach of "getting your life and money under control" as a first (big) basic step.