10.12.2009

10.12.09- Day 146

Oh Monday. It is seemingly getting harder and harder to get up in the morning. Maybe it was the weekend camping trip, maybe the ever later sunrise. Who knows? What I do know is that I've got to figure out some strategy to get myself out of bed on time. I hate being rushed in the morning, yet I do it to myself every day. HELP!

After a busy, yet productive day in the schools and office, I came home and hung out with Alan for a while. He left around 6:45 to go watch Monday Night Football at the boy's house. I stayed in and surfed the internet, biked while watching Modern Family, and ate a taco salad.

Modern Family is a new comedy series on ABC. It reminds me of a combination between Everybody Loves Raymond, Will and Grace, The Office, and Three and a Half Men. It is a family sitcom about these three "all-american families." (they are all related). The Dad is married to a Colombian woman several decades younger and his wife has a 10 year old son. The daughter is married to a guy who wants to be hip and all the kids' friends- they have 3 kids. The son is gay, and he and his partner just adopted a baby from Vietnam. It's really pretty funny, although I'm not sure how happy I am that this is the new American family. They're real and the jokes play into families in our culture right now. It's just kind of sad that dads are either seen as inept fathers or weak men. Women are naggy and in charge. Kids think their parents are uncool and won't talk to them. Hmmm... maybe the reality is why I like the show and also what makes me uneasy with the show. All that said, I would definitely recommend it for some laughs and a look into what our culture says about family.

No comments: