11.19.2009

11.19.09- Day 183

I went to the first of a three day conference on Autism Spectrum Disorder. This diagnosis is rapidly increasing all over the world. It's incidence is now 1 in 100 children. This is a videoclip that they showed at the conference. It was made by a woman with Autism. In the first part she shares her language and how she perceives it. In the second part, she eloquently explains how her language is different from ours and how that affects how others see her. It blew my mind. It really opened my eyes to perceptions/boxes I put people in and how these can be totally off base. I never would have dreamed how intelligent this woman is! I want to learn to never place limits on what the children I work with can do with the right equipment and support.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

that was... amazing. during the first 3 minutes i was like "hmm... okay?" but wow. that's going to give me a lot to think about. i wonder if chelsea feels that way