11.08.2009

11.7.09- Day 171

Alan and I raked, de-leafed the gutters, and made this brick trim around our garden bed in the backyard this morning. It was a lot of work, but it all looks really good now. And.... it was a gorgeous day to do work outside. It was in the 70's all day! I love Denver weather. Remember the snow days we had a week ago :).

After we worked in the yard, we decided to go on a bike ride with Sarah. Sarah brought over one of her roomates' bikes for me to borrow. I knew something was wrong when I had only travelled about a 1/2 mile and my legs were burning so bad. I thought I was just really out of shape for biking! Alan and Sarah were going so slow and I couldn't even get up enough speed to glide for a few seconds. I tried to switch bikes with Sarah, but couldn't get balanced (because she has a shnazy bike). Anyway, I'm about to give up hope, but we make it to City Park and I'm sweating like crazy. Sarah switches bikes with me (I got to practice on hers a bit). She agrees with me that the bike is heavy and harder to push. So, she starts looking around on the bike to see if the brakes are rubbing the wheel. Sure enough, I had been riding the bike with the brakes basically dragging the whole way. When Sarah brought the bike over to our house, she had to take the front wheel off for transport. When she put the front tire back on it was a little crooked, causing the front brakes to drag on the wheel. Needless to say, we made it back in about 1/2 the time and my confidence was restored! haha.
After we got back from biking, we decided to hit the town with Sarah, Jason, and Andy for Denver Arts Week's Night at the Museums. It's a night once a year that 11 of the city's museums are open with free admission. There are special events going on at all the museums and a free shuttle going between them. We went to the Children's Museum first... but then got kicked out because you have to have children accompanying you at the museum- imagine that! We ran after the shuttle and caught it before it left. Then we went to the Museo de las Americas and made edible art. After that, we headed to the Molly Brown House for a tour (she was a lady that was on the Titanic when it sank). Then we went to the Colorado History Museum. The last one was my favorite. I love looking at old pictures of cities and then thinking about how they look now. I also learned some interesting facts about how Colorado became a state. I'm so glad that I found Arts Week on the internet. I love taking advantage of what this city has to offer!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

can i just say that i think it's... a combination between hysterical and tragic that they kicked you out of the museum just because you didn't have a kid with you. SAD. the children's museums are -always- the best!

Susan said...

I totally agree! That's why we went there first!