12.03.2009

12.2.09- Day 195

Despite my best attempts to take a picture at book club tonight, I totally forgot! We talked about the book, Things Fall Apart, by Chinua Achebe. Although the book is a little bit hard to get into, I found it interesting and engaging in many ways. Achebe writes about the culture and traditions of his Nigerian tribe and the changes that occur when missionaries and magistrates from England come to colonize their land. The insight into tribal customs and their purpose was so engaging. I also appreciate that no judgment is made by the author about when Ibo or English customs and actions are good or bad, he just describes individual's responses to the changes that take place in the village. While Okonkwo, the main character does not like the changes, his son, Nwoye, embraces the Christians and follows them. The book sparked an evening of conversation about western thinking, cultural sensitivity, how to provide aid, and personal struggles with how to best assist those of other cultures. Quote of the day: "I just want to take you home with me!" -- said by a kindergartner to me after our session was finished. Times like this make me in love with my profession. Later in the day there was a miscommunication between my boss and I and she went to the wrong school to observe me. It's times like that that I dislike working and being accountable to others and feeling incompetent. Didn't make it to the gym again today, but I did get to see my husband for a while before and after book club! (he was at youth group and working out while I was at book club) I also got to hang out with Sarah and catch up for a while before book club started.

Next month we are reading: The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall- it's suppose to be crazy and good and mind boggling all at the same time. I'll let you know how it is!

No comments: